Thursday 7 March 2013

Jjimjilbangin' at Dragon Hill Spa

Ever since I arrived in this country, fellow expats have been telling me I should visit a jjimjilbang. It's an essential Korean experience, they say. You should definitely check one out while you're here.
Well, it's taken a while but I finally went with Angela to one here in Seoul a couple of weeks ago. In case you're not familiar with the concept, a jjimjilbang is essentially the name for a Korean bathhouse, though it offers much more than your average spa or sauna back home. In fact, some of the larger jjimjilbangs have so many extra amenities - shops, cinemas, arcades - that they feel almost like miniature holiday resorts. There are also many different scented rooms, beauty salons and massage parlours where you can preen yourself.
At its heart though, the jjimjilbang is a place to unwind and chill out after a hard day's work, whether that means taking a hot bath, sweating it out in an aromatic sauna, or sitting and chatting with loved ones in an oak-panelled lounge. Most establishments are open for 24 hours and are popular for families and individuals alike, especially at the evenings and weekends. They're also extremely cheap, and during the weekend many drunk revellers will sleep off their hangovers in a jjimjilbang for less than $10 a night.
The jjimjilbang that Angela and I visited was Dragon Hill Spa, one of the most famous and popular jjimjilbangs in Seoul.

Dragon Hill Spa is located just near Yongsan Station. You can get there by leaving the station by Exit 1, and turning right at the bottom of the stairs.


Here I am just before we headed inside. 
Dragon Hill Spa has over 6 floors of various luxuries.
Although there are gender-segregated areas where you bathe in the nude, we started out in the shared section, where everyone wears a loose t-shirt and shorts. 
This is the main hall, or healing zone, where Koreans chill out and chat with friends, or indulge in the bruise-inducing splendour of over-ferocious massage chairs.

All the Koreans look super-relaxed in these massage chairs but Angela and I were constantly squirming as our muscles were churned like butter.


This was the hottest sauna in the building. It was so unbearable we could only stand it for two or three seconds.
The spa has a couple of shops where you can buy snacks and drinks. You use your electronic locker key to pay for everything, and pay your total bill before leaving the jjimjilbang. This means you don't have to carry wads of cash around with you, which is handy.
The amusement arcade.

Back in the commons area.

Boiled eggs for lunch.
Inside the salt-sauna.


This one was pretty sweltering and we could only bear it for five minutes or so.

Fortunately there's an ice room where you can cool down.
There's a rooftop area though it's pretty dead in the winter.


We came across a tree where people can post messages and wishes. Most were in Korean, as you'd expect, but we did find this one written in English.
There's a gym though no one was using it when we visited. 
This mirror was in the stairwell as we headed back down to the bottom floor.
A heated swimming pool. Pity we didn't bring swimwear.
Inside the Finnish-style sauna. 
Me eating frozen "dippin' dots" to help cool down
We spent a little while in the jjimjilbang's cinema and watched the end of a pretty Japanese anime.
Heading home during nightfall.
I wasn't sure whether I'd be into the whole jjimjilbang experience before this trip. I've enjoyed bathhouses and spas before, but I guess I generally prefer to relax in the privacy of my own home rather than with other people. Nevertheless, in the two weeks since visiting Dragon Hill Spa, Angela and I have already returned to the jjimjilbang TWICE, once to a different establishment, Itaewonland (which we liked, though not as much as Dragon Hill), and once again to this one. They're great places to unwind after a long shift at work, and I didn't even receive any of the special services like massages or scrubs yet.
I don't know if I'll do any more blog posts on jjimjilbangs as I feel I've covered the general gist of them with this post. But rest assured, I'll be visiting them a lot while I'm here.

trazy.com

9 comments:

  1. Just have a quick question about the spa. Can u skip the wash (nude part) and go straight to common area (unisex).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you don't have to do the nude part. You can just change into the clothes they give you and go straight to the common area.

      Delete
  2. It seems like your first time at the Korean sauna went really well. Not only did you get to relax and enjoy good food, it’s a good bonding experience for you and your boyfriend as well. And for just $25 dollars, that’s definitely a steal. Thanks for posting this up, Jerrica!

    Ronni Casilas @ JNH Lige Styles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, do we also have to pay for the arcade games? Do you remember the price range? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do we have to have a Passports?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buy Real driver’s License online ((www.globaldocuments4u.com))(whatsapp +32460248580),Passports, ID cards,,Residence Permit ,IELTS Certificate,Diplomas, Marriage certificates and many other documents.

    WEBSITE ::::: https://globaldocuments4u.com

    Contact Us ::::: https://globaldocuments4u.com/drivers-license/

    WhatsApp… +32 460 248580

    WhatsApp… +12133479501

    Email....smithglobaldocuments4u@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erwerb des deutschen Führerscheins: Der Führerschein ist in Deutschland ein staatliches Privileg, das jedem gewährt wird, der einen Führerschein für eine der gewünschten Klassen beantragt. Sie ist für alle motorisierten Fahrzeuge vorgeschrieben, mit Ausnahme der kleinsten Mopeds unter 50 cm³, für die eine Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung von 25 km/h gilt, sowie für motorisierte Fahrräder (diese erfordern ebenfalls ein Mindestalter von 15 Jahren und eine kleine Pflichtfahrschule). Die Arten von Führerscheinen, die erworben werden können, sind im gesamten Europäischen Wirtschaftsraum gleich. Siehe Europäischer Führerschein. Das Mindestalter für den Erwerb eines Führerscheins beträgt: 16 Jahre für ein eingeschränktes Motorrad bis 125 cm³, 17 Jahre für ein Pkw mit Erziehungsberechtigten, 18 Jahre für ein unbeschränktes Pkw und 21 Jahre für Busse und Lkw. deutscher führerschein in usa, deutsche führerscheinprüfung in englisch, deutsche führerscheinprüfung, deutsche führerscheingültigkeit, deutsche führerscheinübersetzung, deutsche führerscheinklassen, deutsche führerscheinprüfung militär, deutsche führerscheingegenseitigkeit, deutsche führerschein-app, deutscher führerschein australien, deutscher führerschein amerikanisch, deutscher führerschein als ausweis

    https://fix-mpu.link

    WhatsApp: +4915214505402
    E-Mail info.fixmpu@aol.com
    Führerscheine und wo man den deutschen Führerschein kaufen kann

    Kaufen Sie einen deutschen Führerschein: Den deutschen Führerschein erhalten Sie nach Abschluss der Fahrschule und dem Bestehen einer zweistufigen Prüfung, der Theorieprüfung und der Fahrprüfung. Vor der Zulassung zu diesen Prüfungen müssen ein Sehtest und ein Erste-Hilfe-Kurs (in der Regel 8 Stunden) absolviert werden.

    Kaufen Sie einen deutschen Führerschein

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been unlucky playing the Lottery over the years. I couldn't take the pain anymore and I searched for help online. I saw random positive reviews of DR AMBER saying how he has been helpful with his spells. I visited his webpage: ( amberlottotemple.com ) and he told me what was required to get what I seek for done and I accepted. He did a reading for me that made it clear to him that I was going to become a MEGA JACKPOT winner and he gave me the right numbers to play the Lottery. I had faith in him and I went back to the store a few days later to confirm if I had won and while the clerk was checking my ticket, I heard her say ‘Oh my God! I looked up and saw the Big Winner screen of $36,449,852.60. I was completely shocked, but calm. It feels amazing – I can’t imagine this shift in my life and I want to appreciate this man DR AMBER for his help. It’s not everybody that is naturally lucky to win the Lottery but the solution to win is DR AMBER. For more info Call/Text/Telegram +1 808 481 5132 or E-mail: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete