Wednesday 9 January 2013

Hwaseong - Wintry Fortress: Part 1

During my Christmas break I took a trip to Suwon, a city about 30 minutes south of Seoul. Unlike the city where I live, Suwon doesn't feel like a suburb of Seoul, but rather is its own sprawling city-space very separate from its larger neighbour to the north.
My time there was mostly taken up by my walk around the walls of Hwaseong Fortress. Constructed during the 1700s, this world heritage sight stretches for over three miles around the city, dotted along the way with dozens of gates, pavilions and military facilities.

I arrived at Suwon via its metro station.
Paldalmun Gate, the southern entrance to the fortress, was under construction when I visited.


I saw a guards' performance at some temple grounds within the fortress walls.

The temple grounds were dead quiet.

Here's where I started my journey along the actual fortress walls.









From Seojangdae Command post I had a great view over the city. There's the Christmas tree I saw earlier! 
It occurred to me that this is the furthest I've ever been from home.

Click here to continue the adventure in Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment